Razor USA, LLC has an immediate need for an experienced Design Director to join our New Brands Group. This position, based in Cerritos, Calif., will support both existing and new toy brands. This exciting role will require a strong understanding of toy design and development. The position will work with our New Brands team to develop our existing toy brands and develop new ideas for our new brands.
Working with the VP, New Brands and the Brand and Product Managers, this position will:
• Help develop the creative vision and product development plans for our brands and product lines
• Manage a design team of 4–6 staff designers as well as outside resources
• Support Product Managers in managing product development (product quality, costing, market viability, etc.)
• Identify and leverage toy development best practices (manufacturing, sourcing, sculpting, design, decoration)
• Lead design review meetings and present results to all levels of management
• Be able to work “hands on” when needed, as well as serving in a management/leadership role
• Work with the Asia team
Our ideal candidate will have strong knowledge and experience in both boys’ and girls’ toys. We will also consider strong Design Director candidates that have experience primarily in one of these areas. As we are a growing team, our Design Director will occasionally need to be “hands on” and take on the role of a Designer as well as a Design Director.
Attributes Needed to Be Successful:
• Strong demonstrated creative thinking abilities
• Ability to take direction from creative executives
• Problem solver and a “get things done” mentality
• Enjoys working with people and inspiring them to follow through on a creative vision
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment with a small team, and be flexible
• Strong lead as the design director, but also willing to be hands on when needed, and work as a designer
• Passionate about working in the field of toy design
Job Requirements and Skills:
• BA or BS in Toy Design, Industrial Design, or Product Design
• At least 3–5 years of full-time experience or more years of professional design/product development experience, working in a toy or children’s products company
• Experience leading and managing design teams
• Understands and can instruct in best practices in all phases of design process – preliminary, development, and production
• Able to develop complete control drawings and technical specifications with an understanding of structure and internals
• Knowledge of girl and/or boy play patterns and girls’ toy categories
• Some knowledge of child development
• Strong visual communication skills
• Proficient in sketch development, presentation renderings, and physical mock-ups
• CAD program experience. Working knowledge of 3D, Rhino, Solid Works, Freeform, and ProEngineer are a plus
• Solid command of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator programs
• Knowledge and understanding of toy materials and processes
Please provide a link or a PDF file of your portfolio.
Interested candidates should send their resumes to email@example.com.
About Razor USA, LLC
The Razor brand embodies the spirit of fun and freedom. It defies boundaries and sometimes even gravity. The company was founded in 2000 with the introduction of its now legendary kick scooter, which quickly became an essential ride for anyone on the go. Today, Razor products are available worldwide, with a full range of wheeled goods to inspire and excite riders everywhere.
Razor USA, LLC is growing as a toy company, introducing innovation and play value to enliven classic toy categories. The New Brands division of Razor is dedicated to the development of delightful and innovative toys that deliver ultimate play value for both boys and girls. Since 2011, we have successfully launched new international brands including Vapor and Pony Royale, with several brands targeted for launch in 2013 and 2014.