Pet products brand PetSafe will open its annual Bark for Your Park grant contest beginning May 1 to help communities build or enhance their local dog parks. PetSafe will select 10 communities to be awarded prizes totaling $150,000.
Since introducing the program in 2011, PetSafe has donated more than $1.5 million in support of more than 70 off-leash dog parks across the U.S.
Between May 1, 2021 and June 30, 2021, anyone interested in building a new dog park or updating an existing their park in their area should submit entries at barkforyourpark.com.
To submit their community for consideration, entrants must:
- Contact a local civic leader and request an official letter of support for the dog park project.
- Make a list of ways their community will benefit from a dog park.
- Confirm that their community has land available for a dog park.
- Design a layout for their ideal dog park.
- Gather examples to show why the next big dog park should be in their community — such as fundraising events, support from local businesses and more.
After the Bark for Your Park submission period closes on June 30, a panel of judges will review the entries. PetSafe will announce 30 finalists to compete in the contest voting period, taking place August 3-31, 2021. From there, five communities will receive $25,000 for the construction of a new park and five communities will be awarded $5,000 to enhance their current dog parks. Winners will be announced on September 2, 2021.
“The PetSafe brand is committed to creating safe, off-leash areas for pets and pet parents to enjoy for years to come,” says Celeste Vlok, marketing manager for PetSafe brand. “For our 10th anniversary, we’ve added a voting element to the grant contest so more people can join in the fun. We encourage anyone who would like to have a new dog park in their area, or would like to upgrade an existing dog park, to enter.”
The start of the Bark for Your Park submission period will coincide with National Dog Park Day on May 1.