Mattel, Inc, together with officials from The City of El Segundo and partners from Save The Children, UCLA Health, The Los Angeles Library Foundation, LA’s Best, Girls Inc. of Los Angeles, and The Boys & Girls Clubs of Carson, today declared the week of June 19 – 23 Mattel’s Play It Forward Global Volunteer Week.
Mattel’s Play It Forward Global Volunteer Week enables its iconic brands to give back to communities who need it most. Play It Forward is a designated period each year where Mattel’s global offices host a week of opportunities for employees to share their time and talents to support local nonprofits serving children and their families. With participation from over 30 global offices impacting thousands of children and benefiting hundreds of nonprofits worldwide, the occasion celebrates Mattel’s volunteer and philanthropic efforts all over the world. Mattel’s purpose is to empower the next generation to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential, and it’s Play It Forward Global Volunteer Week gives employees a chance to further immerse themselves in that purpose in collaboration with their colleagues.
This year, Mattel’s worldwide play dates will feature Mattel branded experiences including life-sized Hot Wheels tracks, Barbie photo opportunities, and UNO gameplay, among others. Additional Play It Forward activations for 2023 include:
· Kicking off the week of activities in El Segundo at Mattel’s headquarters, Mattel hosts an all-out Play is the Way Sports Day. LA Sparks players and community team, along with the LA Chargers street team, engage in a girl’s empowerment-filled morning with Girls, Inc. LA and their introduction to basketball and flag football. That afternoon, 300 children from Boys and Girls Clubs of Carson, UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital, Huntington Park Parks and Girls, Inc. LA will come together for their ultimate play date with UCLA Health and representatives from the Lakers, Dodgers, Kings, LAFC and WWE superstar Tamina Snuka.
· In support of summer reading campaigns around the U.S.; Play it Forward partners with Save the Children to launch it’s Make Summer Fair campaign, to support children with books and educational resources during the summer months. The Los Angeles Library Foundation will also join in welcoming 300 students from LA’s Best for a carnival-style afternoon like no other.
· Fisher-Price will give back to food banks including FeedMore WNY, participate in Habitat for Humanity Buffalo builds, toy donations to Oishei Children’s Hospital, and an employee planting event with Tifft Nature Preserve.
· MEGA employees will beautify their community with mural painting in partnership with Colonie Ste-Jeanne d’arc.
· Mattel EMEA will host events in the UK and throughout Europe, with France creating a sporting event promoting disability awareness in partnership with Rencontre Extra Ordinaire and Greece supporting Smile of the Child.
· LATAM employees will activate with organizations which support foster youth such as Aldeas Infantiles en Brasil, Casa Hogar DIF, and participate in a special Make-a-Wish moment.
· Mattel APAC offices, distribution centers and plants will create play kits, donate toys, and volunteer at local children’s organizations.
· Mattel Canada will raise funds and grant a special request with Make-A-Wish Canada.
“For over 30 years, Mattel has been an active and generous community partner to El Segundo,” shared Mayor Drew Boyles. “Each year, Mattel generously donates thousands of toys to the city’s annual holiday tree lighting ceremony, making it one of the city’s most beloved community events. Play it Forward is another example of the outstanding charitable work Mattel does to give back to the community. On behalf of City Council, I’m honored to support ‘Play it Forward Volunteer Week’.”
“The Mattel Children’s Foundation is thrilled to Play it Forward globally to impact children and engage our passionate employees right here on the Mattel campus at headquarters and in regions around the world,” remarked Nancy Molenda, Executive Director, Mattel Children’s Foundation and Philanthropy at Mattel. “We are thankful for our partners and global employee base who help us make a difference all year long. From bringing educational resources to rural America, supporting children’s hospitals with toy donations, to even building a family’s dream home, the accomplishments we’ve been able to achieve through Play It Forward have been incredible.”
“Through our partnership of nearly two decades, Save the Children and Mattel have worked together to make a difference in the lives of children in the United States and around the world,” said Luciana Bonifacio, Save the Children’s Chief Development Officer. “We are incredibly grateful for Mattel and its employees’ support of Save the Children’s Make Summer Fair campaign, working to ensure rural kids living in poverty have the books, meals and education resources they need to keep learning and developing in the summer. As part of Mattel’s annual Play It Forward Global Volunteer Week, we are delighted to partner together for our first-ever Make Summer Fair children’s fair to give hundreds of kids an unforgettable day of play.”
Everyone is encouraged to Play it Forward now and all year by joining Mattel in support of nonprofits and programming for communities served by UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital, Save The Children, The Los Angeles Library Foundation, LA’s Best, Girls Inc. of Los Angeles, and The Boys & Girls Clubs of Carson. For more information on Mattel’s philanthropic efforts, including this year’s Play It Forward initiative, visit The Mattel Children’s Foundation online at https://corporate.mattel.com/philanthropy.